In Regina 's early days there were few parks. In fact, there were few trees! Trees were a luxury on the prairies, especially in a town with an inadequate water supply. The town founders set aside a chunk of land right in the centre of town and named it Victoria Square . It was supposed to serve as a green space, part of an effort to make Regina a more attractive destination for settlers. However, the town twice offered this precious plot of land to developers (both offers were rejected), and no landscaping efforts were made there until the start of the twentieth century.
A much more attractive park at the time was the CPR Gardens , commonly referred to as Stanley Park . This plot of land boasted trees, shrubs and flowers. The little park beautified the land right next to the CPR's main depot in Regina , Union Station. (Today, this site is now the parking lot of Casino Regina.)
In 1907, the City of Regina hired landscape architect Frederick Todd to design a plan for Victoria Square , afterwards, known as Victoria Park. Todd was also the designer of the formal garden at the provincial Legislative Buildings. His sketch envisioned a spoke-like series of paths all leading to a central focal point. That focal point was, at first, Davin Fountain (dedicated to the founder of the Regina Leader-Post and local MP, Nicholas Flood Davin). In 1926, Davin Fountain was removed and the current Cenotaph took its place. Today the park contains a small playground, numerous benches, beautiful foliage and lush gardens. Each summer it plays host to a number of functions, including the Regina Folk Festival. Regina residents can often be found enjoying bright summer days in the downtown oasis that is Victoria Park.