City of Regina Archives
|Title: Birds'-eye view of Victoria Park
Date: ca. 1905
Retrieval Number: CORA-RPL-A-427
Extent: : 1 B&W Print; 15.5
cm x 7 cm
Scope and Content Note: Victoria Park looking southeast.
Bandshell & cricket pitch in foreground.
Access Restrictions: None
Parent fonds/collection: RPL Photograph Collection
Historical Note: There was one advantage to having
an unlandscaped Victoria Park: it provided lots of room to play.
In addition to the bandshell, Victoria Park featured a cricket pitch.
It was also the home of the Regina Tennis Club, which later moved
to a spot near the Albert Street Bridge before finding a home in
Wascana Park . In 1915 Regina had nineteen tennis clubs! Nearly every
church, business and club seemed to have a tennis club. The Regina
Tennis Club folded in 1964, after being moved from their spot in
Wascana Park to make room for building expansion. (The club moved
temporarily to the Lakeview Par 3 Golf Course before its demise.)