1965: CJUS-FM launched
While campus radio programs
had been broadcast on CFQC-FM and other stations as early as 1932, with a radio
directorate established in 1944, by the late 1950s the students’ union was in a
good position to establish an independent station.
In 1959 University Radio Productions approached the federal government
for a broadcast license to operate a student-run FM station on a non-commercial
basis. However, licensing requirements
demanded that licenses only be issued to the University itself, so in 1960
students approached the Board of Governors for approval. Operation of the station was formalized in
1965 between the University and the Students’ Union (USSU), and CJUS-FM was
launched, with studios in the Memorial Union Building (MUB) and antennas on top
of the Arts Building. For ten years
prior to the establishment of a CBC-FM station in Saskatoon, CJUS carried CBC
network programming; and many of the station’s locally-produced programs were
carried nation-wide. In 1980 the
station moved from the Memorial Union Building to the Education Building. In October 1983, the station became a
limited commercial station, and changed its call letters to CHSK-FM. However, by late 1984 the Board of Governors
decided not to continue the station’s funding.
Although the USSU briefly considered taking full responsibility for
running the station, the last day of programming was September 30, 1985.
Campus Radio Station fonds, MG 128
K.S. Gordon fonds, MG 199
1965a: CJUS-FM studio, and the hosts of “Morning Favourites” and “Folk Music International”, 1983. Photograph Collection, A-8787.
Guide to Holdings, p. 137.