Saskatchewan Council for Archives and Archivists - AN EXHIBITION

Saskatchewan and the Visual Arts
Mendel Art Gallery


Fred Mendel in his home, n.d. [43]

Located at 950 Spadina Crescent East in Saskatoon, the Mendel Art Gallery officially opened on October 16th, 1964. It was named in honour of Frederich Salomon Mendel, the founder of Intercontinental Packers. Mendel was a European businessman born in Recklingshausen, West Germany in 1888. He fled Nazi Germany, arriving in Saskatoon in 1939 with a portion of his collection of 20th century paintings.

A supporter of local art associations and artists, Mendel contributed both financially and with a portion of his collection to the building of the new Saskatoon Art Centre, which was later named the Mendel Art Gallery in his honour. The collection he donated included significant works by German Expressionists and numerous works from local Saskatchewan artists. Mendel received the Order of Canada in 1974 in recognition of his contributions to the arts community.



NEXT: SHOESTRING GALLERY (later A.K.A. Gallery)


Saskatchewan and the Visual ArtsVirtual Displays


This site has been made possible by financial support from the federal government
through the National Archives of Canada and the Canadian Council of Archives.


2001 Saskatchewan Council for Archives and Archivists. All Rights Reserved