Among the many arts-related associations in Regina, such as the Fine and Applied Arts Committee of the Regina Local Council of Women, the Regina Sketch Club and the Regina Camera Club, the Women's Art Association was particularly active. The Women's Art Association of Saskatchewan was founded in 1928 and was composed of women artists and the wives of prominent members of the Regina community. They organized exhibitions and classes, often working in collaboration with the Saskatoon Art Association and Regina art collector, Norman Mackenzie.
Two of the founding members of the Women's Art Association were trained artists Barbara Barber and Sybil Jackson. Barber was born in Brantford, Ontario, and moved to Regina with her husband in 1912. She had trained in Toronto and was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Artists. Born in England, Jackson trained there and in Paris. She eventually established a studio in Moose Jaw in 1932, where she taught painting. Another notable member was Mrs. A Everal Brown who had grown up in Swift Current and taken painting as part of her primary education.